Skip to main content

Prayer flags

 My feed over on Instagram delivered a wonderful profile with a continuing saga of the artist's adventures ... 

Hannah posted about a taking much needed camping trip, which turned into a sodden disaster - and wrote that they hung their 'cloutie flags' upon setting up camp in Cornwall. 

Clooties by a sacred well

I guessed she meant small cloth prayer flags or banners, and found this when I looked it up:

The Scots word ‘clootie’ means ‘cloth’ and this term can also be found in use in the famous Scottish dessert, the ‘clootie dumpling’. The ‘cloots’ of the clootie well are scraps of cloth hung from trees surrounding a sacred well or spring. These sources of clean water have been places of healing for millennia.

Traditionally, the well would be visited at special times of the year, such as Beltane, the May Day festival of Spring, or when someone needed a cure for an illness. The well would draw people from across the local area, a social pilgrimage, each taking their turn to dip their cloth offering in the water and say a prayer, before affixing it to a tree or bush. Closely linked with good health, the pilgrims would hope for a good year ahead. Those afflicted with an illness or injury would wash an affected area with water from the well, then attach their cloth to the tree, the idea being that as it rotted and faded away so did their affliction.

  ...When i lived at Breitenbush Hot Springs in the 90s, we had lots of prayer flags around camp, including many on our Cabin porches, and often long strings of them on the footbridge.

Clooties on my porch

At one point, a friend took me on a path above our hillside meadow Springs, to a hidden ripple of hot mineral water, the cobalt springs. Folks with cancer would visit it for a foot soak, and the shrubs/ trees around it were alive with many of these small clootie cloth prayers! 

Some were little bundles done in the first nation style - a pinch of tobacco tied like a handkerchief doll in a black, wrote, yellow, red, blue or green square of cloth. 

My friend Elise and I visited the cobalt spring several times, and one fall, did a bit of clean up and rearranging of rocks. 

In Corvallis, Leon had a basket of cloth strips, (torn from old sheets!) and would invite his massage clients to write a prayer on one or more with sharpie, and add it to the clootie strand hanging from his backyard fence. 

Fall or spring equinox is a lovely time to craft a clootie flags with intention, and string them to hang in a favorite spot. ❤ 🙏 🏳

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connection and Purpose

 Being human is a dance of finding balance between our connections and our own unique spark, our place and purpose. In Okinawa, home of more centenarians than most other areas of the globe, discovering one's purpose is a key factor to well being, and is called Ikigai. When we align with our values and purpose, we are more content in good times, and resilient in times of stress. This in turn leads to enhanced health.  Other factors that promote well being and healing include enjoying a mainly whole foods diet (with a preponderance of local foods, fresh when possible), moving throughout the day, spending time outside, connections with friends and family, and engaging in creative pursuits.   For nearly 40 years I've been engaged in Healing Arts as a Licensed Massage Therapist, and added many complimentary tools to my Medicine Basket, including Reiki, Lightwork, shamanic teachings, Qigong, Tai Chi and Breema; and harmonic healing - including both therapeutic harp and Tuning forks.

Tune Up Time

For nearly 20 years, I've included tuning forks in a number of frequencies in my sessions, and healing harp for 30.  Sound and vibration in many forms can help restore balance and effect healing.  My harmonic tool kit includes Harp, drums, rattles, native American flute, Tibetan bowls and both weighted and unweighted forks. In 2005, I took the  Acutonics  basic practitioner training, & found a set of 'Intention Tuners' on e-bay, from a practitioner who was switching fields -  serendipity!  Vibrational healing pairs well with on body massage or Reiki, and  Lightweaving  which is done off the body. I use both weighted and unweighted forks during recent sessions, with great results! One long time client & friend told her husband 'That was the  BEST  massage I've ever received!'  "In water and watery solids, such as the human body, sound travels over 4x faster in the form of photons or sonic shear waves. As the sound emanating from tuning forks strikes

Happy Mail

 Yay - that was quick!! I placed my order Sunday, and here it is! I'm a Virgo, and true to form, I have long been interested in health and practices that support it.  I followed instructions in a little book on yoga on HS, and began taking movement classes by the my late 20s  (ballet, and a few years after that, Tai Chi)  My dad always had a garden, and we got whole raw milk from the dairy next door.  I continued gardening, eating whole foods, making my own bread and yogurt (still from raw milk), supplemented with vitamins and  minerals from my 20s.  For most of my supplements, I buy off the shelf or order from the office where I offer massage Reiki and holistic sessions ... but needed more of the  Niacinamide  for my joints, and wanted to try a time release formula. I discovered Niacinamide's use for arthritis this spring, as I was experiencing some pain and stiffness in my right hand, after breaking my wrist in a fall last summer.  New Supplements! In the 30s and 40s, Dr Kauf